Thursday 18 January 2018

Practical development - Reflection

My practical development much like my research took a while to fully get going and for a while unfortunately even started. I found a lot of annoying mental blockages in terms of not knowing how to instinctively 'illustrate' how i felt about music. This problem was solved by eventually narrowing down on what piece of music i would focus on for my practical work. I knew that it would most likely be a piece of instrumental as that is what is discussed in my essay and i also feel in an emotive sense, as that is also the main part about my essay, it works better for this way of working. 

Of course the music i focused on was by the great composer Gustav Holst and specifically 'The Planets'. I found this collection of music amazingly inspiring in a way of being able to visualise music and incidentally before Holst settled on the name of the planets it was initially named as a series of sound paintings which of course perfectly encapsulates the themes and ideas of what my practical work would ultimately be. 

From being inspired by the work of Stanley Donwood, i got to work on practical experimentations, using traditional process predominantly, or at least initially with watercolour and brusho. Two mediums which i found perfect for being able to reflect expression and emotion with for example the strike of a brush or the use of a certain colour. 

The true development came from the digital editing of the experiments where i created the various album covers. I gained an understanding in composition elements which are very important for designing something as clinical as an album cover. Once again i was inspired by certain covers that Donwood has done for Radiohead and ultimately i effectively channeled a similar way of working but of course not in a copying sense. 

Overall i am very pleased with how the practical development has gone and how it has crafted in a sense the way in which my final outcomes have been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment